Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Chapter 3

Week Three Bible Study - The Diagnosis

Martha, Martha, “ the Lord answered, you are worried and upset about many things.”
 -Luke 10:41

Will all the Martha’s in the room please raise you hand? If you are like me, your hand almost involuntarily shot up.  Oops.

I feel like the topic of worry and anxiety is so important to discuss because almost all women can relate to this in some way. I can think of at least 5-10 things as I sit here and type, that I could be worried about.

To start off I think it needs to be said up front. …

Anxiety and worry is a sin.

 

Yep. I said it. It’s time to start calling it what it is. It’s time to spear head what causes many women to not live free and abundant lives; the lives Jesus has prepared us for.

I love (and hate) the beginning of this chapter because it lays the foundation for worry and anxiety; back when humans were first created by God.  God actually provided a safe and protected environment for those he loved. It was when humans stepped out of this protection and sought personal gain that sin entered the world. Sin like anxiety. Adam and Eve actually hid from God because of their nakedness. They were worried about what would happen…what God would see them as now. You can see why I said I hate this realization right? If we simply would trust in God’s amazing goodness, we wouldn’t be in half the messes we find ourselves in. 



The Bible tell us not too worry. But how can we not worry you ask? The honest truth is that we, as sinful humans, actually cannot not worry. 
God’s standard for us is perfection. 
Jesus is the standard. 
He came and lived a perfect life. 
But we cannot. 

What we can do is relieve ourselves from the curse of worry and anxiety and submit our failures to God; allowing Him to carry them on the cross so we can live freely in a worried free life.  I think anything less than that is debilitating. Scripture points out that being “choked by life’s worries,” allows us not to mature. We are left  “gasping for spiritual breath.” It says” we may survive, but we will never truly thrive.” Wow. I didn’t know that my anxiety was actually causing me to be farther aware from God. Farther away from the only one who can give me rest from it.

In my own life, I have sinned by being anxious and worried about when God will bless us with children. I often times doubt that God’s ways are better than my own. I feel as if my plans must be right, and that God is behind the eight ball a bit. God, thankfully, has shown me that the most peace and rest come when I am fully trusting Him. 

The same God who parted the seas, and the same God who delivered the Israelites, is the same God that is in control of my fertility. 

I have learned that the foundation He has built in me throughout this trial is what is equipping me to one day be a good mom…and to be a good wife…to be a good friend. He knows exactly what he is doing. I should be lifting my hands and saying thank you Jesus!

My worry doesn’t actually do anything productive. It doesn’t change my situation or shorten it. No… it only robs today and this time in my life of the JOY I could have. “It may prevent us from leading the full lives God intends us to live.” How sad to think that we could be enveloped in God’s protection and living joyful, full lives and instead we are lost in a lie of our own self-centered thoughts. No thank you.  “Even more important, we need to keep our focus on who God is and what God can do.”

What we do know is that being a Christian never meant living a trouble-free life. We know that “troubles come with this earthly territory.” So how do we change? How do we break a habit we are all experts at? How do we believe “we live within a might fortress…that we are hidden beneath almighty wings?”

We pray.

“There is nothing too big or too small, that we cannot bring to the heart of our Father.” When you begin to mentally obsess about your problem or situation, turn that thought into a prayer. I love how the author says, “fretting magnifies the problem, but prayer magnifies God.”

I personally have accountability partners. Whenever I get worried or anxious I send out a distress call!!! Those who know my situation understand my heart and are eager to point me back to Jesus. I can tell you that when prayers are said and God’s peace takes over…I feel it. I cannot tell you how thankful I am to have people surrounding me who also trust in the finish work of Jesus and can walk with me in tough situations. I strongly encourage you all to make that a goal. Find a church. Find a small group. Find accountability partners. It will change your life. 



“When we decide to pray instead of worry-when we choose to have a grateful heart in not-so-great circumstances-then the peace of God comes and takes us into protective custody.”

As we pray more and seek God in our anxiety we are better equipped to deal with life’s struggles. So next time you find yourself boggled down by sin, send up a little prayer for peace and surrender it to God. “That’s the reason we can leave our worry behind-not because there’s nothing to be concerned about, but because we have Someone who can handle them a lot better than we can.”

Praying for you all this week! xo



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh how I need this:) as women, we feel responsible for so many things and tend to get anxious and stressed when everything isn't lining up the way we thought it should. But God has a plan and we just have to trust Him! kind of freeing when you start to let go:)